Monday, December 8, 2008

Day 20


This is what I have in my head while I run on the treadmill: Strong woman. Strong mind. I love how running seems to make me feel connected to my body like never before.

Friday’s Intake:

BW: wheat toast w/ low fat cottage cheese
AW: Protein powder w/ water
S: Whole wheat toast, tuna, pickle, ½ cucumber, vinagrette
L: Whole Wheat pita, grilled chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, peppercinis, black olives, low fat tzatziki sauce.
S: Fat Free Yogurt and almonds
D: protein powder w/ water, few bites veggie soup, 4 whole wheat tortilla chips w/ hummus

Saturday’s Intake (Cheat Day):
B: 2 protein pancakes (egg whites, protein powder, oatmeal, cinnamon, salt, Splenda), sugar free syrup, 3 turkey bacon slices
S: Kashi whole grain bar
L: 2 slices chicken/artichoke/mozzarella pizza, cream soda, tootsie pop
S: 1 cup caramel corn, 2 small pieces chocolate, 1 (5 inch) pretzel stick covered in chocolate and caramel, 1 small piece toffee
D: protein w/ water, 1 glass cabernet sauvignon, whole wheat (Kashi) pesto pasta, edamame

Sunday’s Intake:
B: Protein w/ water, oatmeal w/ dried cranberries and sugar free syrup
D: 1 tamale (2 inches masa wrapped in collard green), salad w/ tomatoes, carrots, lettuce and ranch, boiled pork and salsa
S: Kashi whole wheat bar

Morning From Hell:
This morning I’m on the second day of my period. I wake up crampy and icky from my period. I put on my gym clothes and walk outside to warm up the car. It’s pitch black and freezing. Then I discover I stepped in a FAT pile of dog poop so I spent about 10 minutes with my gym shoe under the faucet trying to clean it off…gross. Then I burned my toast so I just quickly ate a few bites of the cottage cheese and grabbed a Kashi bar. It’s better than nothing. I was pretty proud of myself that I even made it to the gym, there wasn’t many people there, I’m sure the bad weather discouraged them.

But once I got started on my cardio I did great :) I even didn’t want to stop when the 45 minute mark came, can you believe it? I think I could have jogged right on.

Women Diet Saboteurs:
Women are so complicated. If a guy tries to eat healthier, sure his buddies will tease him a bit about it but that’s it. Women are different. I think we would all agree that many, many women are insecure about their bodies. I also think that women are constantly comparing themselves to other women. When one woman goes on a diet and is staying strong in a social setting, I feel that this can sometimes strike a jealousy chord deep inside of the other women. I’ll admit I have felt it. When I see a skinnier woman eat healthier at a social gathering full of temptations - and I am eating like a pig - part of me is angry at myself for not having that same willpower and not having that body. Women are very competitive. Is it just me, but is it women who try to sabotage women dieters the most? They are always pushing their cupcakes, bacon, cheesecake etc. on me, never men. Is it because they are secretly angry that they are not strong enough to eat healthy?

Not Eating Enough:
Now that I’m writing down my intake, I’m starting to notice a pattern: I don’t eat enough on Sundays. We sleep in till 10am and have breakfast. Then we drive off to church at 12:15, church is 1pm-3pm, then we hang around socializing until about 3:30pm, then sometimes we go over to someone’s house for dinner and I don’t eat until about 5pm, then I get home at around 7pm and all I had was breakfast and dinner!

And it makes it worse when the dinner we get invited to has no healthy options. I later found out that the hostess put together a salad JUST FOR ME yesterday when she found out I’m on a diet. I felt guilty and embarrassed when I heard this. I did eat a large portion of salad, but I didn’t eat much else because the other stuff was very fattening. I had 1 small tamale and some of the pork (I actually thought it was chicken and put a lot on my plate, then they told me it was pork and I only ate about half and then gave the rest to my husband).

I think I should bring snacks with me next Sunday.

1 comment:

Kyle and Darci said...

Way to go to the gym!! I know those mornings all too well...but it's like once you get there it's AWESOME!! Hope you have a great week!